Sunday, October 28, 2007

 

Rocktober

In Denver being a sports fan is almost a prerequisite for residence and as such (or perhaps in spite of it) I consider myself a sports fan. I'm not a sports fanatic, and I don't pretend to know everything about everything, but I enjoy watching most spectator sports.

As you know, the Colorado Rockies won entrance into the World Series a couple of weeks ago after a remarkable winning streak. Everyone was calling their success "destiny," including me, but I also said all along that they weren't capable of winning it all. However, even my lack of illusion about the success of our homegrown team has not kept me from the hype about the Rockies. At the risk of sounding like a fair weather fan (which I don't consider myself to be), I have watched more baseball in the last month than I have in the last five years. I like baseball, I even enjoy watching it on TV unlike a lot of fans, but these last three games have been such heart-breakers that I can hardly stand the idea of watching tonight's game. I even considered skipping it in the hopes that it might make the difference to the Rox, but like most obsessions my current obsession with Rockies baseball is not to be cured at this late juncture. And, so, yet again and for the last time I will settle in for the evening with a wad of gum and clench my jaw as the Rox inevitably hand the Sox the Series--in Denver. I'm not sure what is more heart-breaking: the Rox losing in a sweep, or the fact that the Sox are winning it in the Mile High City; I just wish they'd waited 'til they got back home to take it away.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]