Saturday, October 27, 2007

 

Calling

I am proud to live in a country where I'm allowed--expected--to vote. I was more informed on candidates and issues at age 10 than my parents were, so when I turned 18 I was beyond excited to be able to cast my vote and I have never missed an election since.

With all the craziness surrounding the '08 Presidential election in addition to our own municipal election here in Denver next week my phone has been ringing off the hook. It only took my answering a call once, interrupting the caller by saying, "yes, I'm already voting yes on A-I, thanks for calling" *click* to know what to avoid in the future. The calls all show up on caller I.D. as coming from (000) 000-0000, which makes them fairly easy to ignore effectively.

While I was in Nicaragua--with no phone access--I came home to five voice mails all from candidates or campaigns. This morning I slept late (I'm on vacation okay?!) and while I was still sleeping, within 20 minutes of each other, I received five calls from that telling number, (000) 000-0000. I didn't bother to answer any of the calls because I've actually already filled out my absentee ballot for the municipal election next week, and I already know who I'm pulling for in the Democratic primary--I don't need to be sales pitched. But, I have to say that calling five times in such a short amount of time is quite brazen, in my opinion. I mean, that's the kind of thing that could actually reverse psychology on me, it could actually force me to vote against whatever they were pitching me on. That is, of course, if I weren't so stubborn in my political beliefs.

By the way, Denver residents: be sure to vote YES on Issues A-I on your ballot this year!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]