Monday, April 09, 2007

 

Insurance

Since March 16 when I had the lump removed I've been logging into my health insurance account a couple times a week to see when all the bills are going to hit in anticipation of paying my $500 deductible. The bills were received at the insurance company last week, but hadn't been processed so I couldn't see them online...until today. I was shocked. The anesthesiologist alone cost almost $600. The surgery itself--the hospital charges--were $4,800. My doctor's bill still has not been posted, so who knows how much she cost? If I were the betting type I'd say she's the most expensive part of the whole process! I'm not sure what I expected to see when I opened the webpage, but it sure as hell wasn't a total of more than $5,000! What do people without health insurance do? I have a new empathy for the working poor in this country and I think I just became a little more of a Democrat.

Comments:
You don't want to get me started on health care, it makes me SO MAD! We just started getting the bills from Maddox's ear surgery and our portion is at $2000 already, and that's not all of it. We have insurance and pay $320 a month for a family of three, and it covers less and less each year. We're still paying for his hospital stay when he had jaundice when he was three days old, he's now 14 months. And here's the kicker, I called yesterday to be put on a payment plan for the largest bill, and the woman treated me like dirt. She acted like I was white trash and didn't have insurance and was trying to stick them with the entire bill. For one thing it's not like it was HER that I owe the money. She kept saying that if I paid each month what I wanted to pay it would take a year and a half to pay off the bill. I was so mad! Who has $1700 laying around, especially when they have a small child? At first she wanted me to pay it all off in 4 months, that's $425 a month, that's half my house payment! Then she told me that I'd have to pay at least double what I can afford to pay each month, then she finally said that she would send me some paperwork to fill out and send in some pay stubs so I could PROVE that I was in a hardship. Shawn said I should have told her that if I couldn't make monthly payments that I could afford we wouldn't pay any of it. I should have, but at the time I just could not believe the way I was being treated! I mean does this lady not ever get sick and have medical bills? Anyway...I've ranted long enough. The state of health care in this country is sad. Rates keep going up and coverage keeps going down and pretty soon no one will even be able to afford it in the first place, then what?
 
Kyra! Thanks for reading... I had no idea you were here. I knew there was a new Spokane person showing up, but I didn't know it was you! Thanks for dropping by.

Oh, and, you're right... insurance sucks-ass and I'm sorry you're going through all that---it's not fun!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]