Sunday, December 17, 2006

 

Reason

Several months ago after a rant on this blog about lacking topics my friend, Leslie, sent me an e-mail with a bunch of ideas. One of them was "how can we really support our troops?" I never intended to post on this topic, because, well, my opinion on that is complicated, but this evening as I was wrapping up gifts and sealing boxes with packing tape I was on the hunt for something to entertain me. I decided to watch my all-time favorite episode of "The West Wing": the Christmas show from the first season, "In Excelsis Deo." The central story of this episode surrounds a homeless Korean war veteran who dies from exposure near the Washington monument. Toby (by far my favorite character) is called because the veteran was wearing a coat he'd donated to Goodwill and his business card was in the pocket. Toby is apalled by the treatment of this true American hero, the winner of a purple heart. He sets out on a quest to find someone who knows this man and to make sure he's given a proper burial. After locating his brother (also a homeless Vet) and dropping some names (including the President's) Toby makes sure that this nameless, faceless man who lived the last days of his life without honor or dignity was treated in the reverse upon his death. I've seen this show at least two dozen times and it doesn't matter if I watch it at Christmastime or in June I cry everytime.

Tonight as I watched the show, wrapping presents for my family and tying ribbons around my "secret santa" gift for work my head was swimming with the thought of the thousands of American soldiers current serving away from their families, their friends and their lives. I realized that in 50 years they could be that vet ravaged by war, who dies, unknown, because they don't have a save place to sleep. While I don't believe that this war is right or justified I still support our troops who are overseas (and in this country) doing their jobs, whether they agree with it or not.

Never having been a "soldier" I don't know what we can do that would make them feel truly supported, but I hope that they know that we all: Democrats and Republicans, men, women and children, we ALL support and appreciate them everyday and want them to come home safely.

On that note, my mom sent me this link a couple weeks ago. I encourage you all to check it out and send a message to one of our service personnel abroad letting them know that you appreciate them, too.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]