Wednesday, November 22, 2006

 

Recognized

At Starbucks we were taught to recognize our customers by name. Several years ago they actually started a program where we were supposed to write customers' names on the cups when taking their order. While, in theory this is a good idea, in reality it's a little weird. Nobody wants to walk into a Starbucks for his/her Venti, Vanilla, Breve, No Foam, Extra Hot Latte and then admit their name; it's like admitting that a real human being would actually drink that beverage! Still, it's a tenant of good customer service to recognize customers by name or, in this case, beverage. In Starbucks terms it creates "The Third Place," a comfortable place where you feel welcomed and appreciated.

There's a little convenience store on 38th and Irving that I tend to pop into to pick up random "convenience" (read: unmentionable legal addictive stimulants) items. I don't go there all the time, but apparently I have appeared enough to "make a name for myself" because tonight when I stopped in the guy behind the counter, who I take to be the owner, said, "Where you been, girl? Haven't seen you in awhile?"

"Yeah, I've been out of town." I said, digging in my wallet, avoiding eye contact.

"Where you been?" he asked.

"New York." I said

"Ah, you didn't tell me you were going out of town. I was almost worried since I hadn't seen you." He said.

"No? Well, sorry, next time I'll be sure to run it by you." I said grabbing my change as I bolted towards the door.

While I realize that this guy was trying to recognize me for being a "regular" customer and therefore important to his business I can't help but be slightly weirded out by the whole experience. Am I irregular or would this experience freak-out anyone else, despite what his/her customer service experience has taught?

Comments:
I would milk it and hope for a free slurpee on your next visit :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]