Thursday, September 07, 2006

 

Xbox 360

I'm the child of engineers, one of whom is a total "gear-head," so I certainly have a fascination with the newest toys and gadgets, but aside from Atari, ColecoVision (Donkey Kong anyone?) and the original 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System my brother got from Santa for Christmas of '87, I'm not much for video games. I can play Super Mario Bros. with the best of 'em and I love me some Tetris, but the new fangled technology that allows for the creation of these super-life-like games which appear three dimensional and call for so many complex buttons to be pushed at once just manage to confuse me beyond belief.

Today I went to a client preview party for the CBS fall line-up, hosted by our local affiliate (and DCPA season sponsor), CBS 4 Denver. They always do a raffle at these things. They give you a ticket when you sign-in and usually have an iPod or two, Bronco's, Nuggets and Av's tickets, TV's, DVD players, etc. up for grabs. I never win anything...seriously. So, you can imagine my surprise when I heard the final number uttered and glanced down at my ticket to find that I held the ticket with the winning number! I couldn't believe it. I walked up to retrieve my prize utterly stunned, not really knowing that I just won the last prize of the night--the grand prize--the new Xbox 360 (plus one game: World Cup 2006). I was surprised at how heavy the box was, and luckily for everyone in attendance I had on flats today, otherwise I would've probably slipped on the tile floor in my euphoria---that would've been more embarrassing than all the congratulatory comments that then followed me around as I lugged this box with me the rest of the evening.

While I love gadgets and I certainly like technology I'm fairly certain that I don't need this sophisticated of a gaming system. So, the question is: do I keep it and look cool because I have a $500 game system next to my ten-year-old DVD player, or do I hawk it and pay bills or buy another more Mollyesque toy, like a new iPod, since mine can't keep a charge? Better yet, do I hawk it so I have the cash to pay the taxes on it? A pickle indeed, but a delicious one at that!

Comments:
KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT.

PS. My birthday is in January....HA!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]