Monday, September 11, 2006

 

Patriot

I've never kept my love for this country a secret. In college my U.S. flag hung on the ceiling right over my bed, so I could see it clearly when I was lying down; it was the source of much ridicule. It certainly played into the whole "little republican" nickname I'd earned, though I'm still not sure how considering my democratic status. I think I truly began appreciating the U.S. and developed a profound respect for being an American about the same time my love of politics came into play: in 5th grade. It's never gone away. It probably won't, God willing.

I decided I needed to post something about it being the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, but I'm not really sure to say. I've heard a lot of "where I was" stories today, so I'll briefly say that I was at Starbucks, making coffee, and completely cut-off from all media during that morning. It was hard. Perhaps more importantly than where I was or what I was doing, is what I remember most. The thought that sticks in my mind most is how after that Tuesday you couldn't find a flag...anywhere. Everyone became a patriot. Everyone was ready to defend our country. Everyone loved what we were and what we stood for. Everyone banded together. Everyone became one.

In the five years since 9/11/01 we've engaged in a war in both Afghanistan and Iraq, we've witnessed one of the most brutal political fights of the past 100 years, we've watched the Gulf Coast be completely ravaged by a viscious storm, and we've watched terrorists attack not only in the United States, but abroad. What I learned from 9/11 is what's really important in this world: to be more patient and accepting, more loving and more genial, more respectful and more thankful. In short, I learned what it means to be a true American.

Comments:
I couldn't have said it better. Thanks Molls... I love you.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]