Saturday, September 02, 2006

 

Labor Day

Aside from this being a three-day weekend, what's the big deal? According to the Department of Labor, "Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country." Does it not seem at least ironic that we celebrate the achievements of "American workers" by taking the day off? I guess it makes some sense, just seems odd at the same time. At any rate, I'm enjoying it. When you live in a place where all things outdoors are glorified and you consider yourself more of an "indoor" girl three day weekends bring lighter traffic, easy-to-get tickets and another day to sleep in--and not in a tent, either.

Traditionally, Labor Day has signaled the end of summer and the transition into autumn. Even though every one in Denver knows that we go straight from summer into winter I like the idea that summer has ended and that the fall has arrived. The weather today was certainly fall-like with high temps topping out in the low 60's...and the low tonight is 40--it could *almost* snow and that's a prospect about which I have a hard time containing my excitement.

Since today was Saturday--Sloth Day-- you can bet I spent a good portion of the day sleeping, or at least lounging, which means that I have oodles of pent up energy. And, even though I should be at least thinking about going to bed I think I'll go start packing up the summer clothes and white shoes to make sure I don't make any devastating fashion faux pas post Labor Day holiday.

Comments:
Oh, thank gawd. I was so worried you might head out in your white shoes on Tuesday.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]