Tuesday, September 26, 2006

 

Good

I love to complain. It seems as though I'm always looking for something that's gone wrong, or something that annoys me so's I can whine about it to someone. I'm not oblivious to this fact, contrary to what you might believe, I usually know full-well what I'm doing. What I am oblivious to is why I do it. Even when things seem to be going fairly well in my life, I can always find the black cloud in the sky. As a child I was the classic example of a "glass-is-half-empty" kind of person, pessimisstic to a T. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've heard, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

I've changed a lot since I was a child and while I'm not quite such a downer these days, in general it doesn't take much to set me off. I must bust into one of my co-workers offices multiple times daily to bitch about someone or something. Lately it seems as though I'm constantly complaining about the same things, over and over and over again. I'm sure it gets old. And, sometimes, even when I'm saying them I'm thinking to myself, "Molly, calm down, it's not that big of a deal." But, to hear me tell it, it's like the end of the world, even if it is just the theatre (and even I know how irrelevant that is in the grand scheme).

Today I was catching up with an old friend, during a long telephone conversation and in the course of updating him on all that is me, I had a bit of an epiphany: My life is good; for a change I'm awfully content. And, while I might be annoyed by the every day sorts of things I really need to learn to "not sweat the small stuff" and just be happy being happy.


Edit: I was just thinking about this post and realized that it might sound overly optimistic to those of you who know me best. Fear not, my bitter cynicism has not disappeared and this brief bout of euphoria is likely to dissipate by the time the sun comes up.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]