Thursday, September 21, 2006

 

Avoidance

Building on my post from this morning about being uncomfortable... yeah, I hate it. Still. However, it makes for a very productive day, I must admit.

See, I'm an avoider. I avoid things that make me uncomfortable (except of course when I attack them head-on, which is rare). My favorite way to avoid life is to just sleep. If something was "that bad" I could probably sleep 24 hours in one day, just to avoid it. No kidding. However, since I've entered the workforce outside of the service industry I've become a bit of a workaholic. Sometimes my hours are more demanded than volunteered, and while I LOVE to martyr myself and complain about all the work I do, deep down it gives me a sense of purpose and makes me feel indispensable.

Today I was in an avoiding kind of a mood. I had so much on my mind that I was talking to myself, because my head was overflowing with thoughts--does that ever happen to anyone else? Or, is that just another thing that makes me one of God's unique creatures? It's almost distressing. Makes me feel like I have MPD or have suddenly become schizophrenic (not to shed light, I'm just saying). Anyhow... in an effort to push those thoughts aside I threw myself into work. I got more done today than I have gotten done in the last two days combined: I finished all weekend ads, planned five promotions, two happy hours and an opening night party. I updated spreadsheets, pulled tickets and narrowly averted a near-disaster at the post office (even though that came with quite the price tag). This doesn't count, of course, the daily maintenance things like sending and replying to e-mail, voicemail or the requisite office chatter, which was plentiful today.

Maybe I should do something I'll want to avoid later every day. It's either that or continue today's ritual of drinking 48 ounces of coffee...I'm not sure which would bother my stomach more in the long-run.

Comments:
you're one of God's unique creatures. HA! just kidding. i TOTALLY talk to myself when my brain is overflowing. i also stress out. big time. lists. skipper. lists.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]