Saturday, August 05, 2006

 

My Love Affair With Al Gore

My political leanings are not a secret, though while I'd like to think I'm a bleeding heart liberal I know that in reality I fall more towards the middle--more than I'll usually admit even. My parents are both on the conservative side, though my mom's affections have changed particularly in the last, oh about six years (wonder why?). I knew I was a Democrat in 5th grade. It was the '88 election: Dukakis vs. Bush Sr. There were two people in my class who were pulling for Mikey: me and Sean McGinty, on whom I had a giant crush... that's when I decided and it's stuck with me ever since. Okay, okay...when I got older and more interested in the issues I actually made the conscious choice to register a party affiliation and that I most often identified with the Democrats views. I've also been a political junkie every since. I follow politicians and issues I watch the Sunday morning talk shows and I LIVE for election years. I actually begged my Father to let me stay home in January 1993 (I was 14) to watch Bill Clinton's first innauguration (that's a good story; ask me if you're interested).

I can't quite put my finger on the exact moment that I knew I was "in-love" with Al Gore, but I remember thinking he was the best thing since sliced bread during the 1992 election...and I was 13 that summer. And, I'm not sure why he had such an effect on me, but I've adored him ever since. I think he is intelligent, stoic, diplomatic and a good representative for the people. I also believe that his intentions are good; that he makes decisions because he believes they are the right thing to do. I would happily cast a vote for him for most any political office for which I could do so. After the 2000 election I was crushed; I took Mr. Gore's loss very personally, I even cried over it, but I know of several other people who did, too, so I suppose that's neither here nor there. I don't expect other people to understand my fascination with Al Gore, or really my obsession with politics at all; afterall, it's rather indescribeable. I also don't expect people to share my opinions, but I do ask that I be allowed to have them and allowed to express them.

Al Gore was in Denver today signing copies of "An Inconvenient Truth" at the Tattered Cover in Lodo. I've been planning on going all week and this morning when I woke up I actually thought about skipping it. Standing in line for hours with hundreds of other people wasn't appealing to me, but I knew if I didn't go I'd be mad at myself, possibly forever.

I got there, bought my books and got in the line to get a "ticket" to the signing. The ticket I was assigned made me numbner 342 in line---and there were a lot of people behind me. I then waited for another approximately two and a half hours before I was finally at the front of this seemingly neverending line and Al Gore--a man I've absolutely idolized for half my life--was right there! Now, I'm the kind of person who cries more when they're happy or excited than they do when they're sad or scared. I could feel myself beginning to choke up a bit as I inched closer and closer to our former Vice President. But, I also knew that if I started crying I would be forever embarassed, that I would never forgive myself.

As I was waiting in line we were informed about what would and would not be permitted during the book signing: Mr. Gore will only sign copies of "An Inconvenient Truth" and will not sign any other memorabilia, including ticket stubs, other books, or campaign materials and he will not personalize books. I figured with hundreds of people there and with them being as Nazi-like as they were, we'd get about two seconds to savor the moment when we actually reached him. I was shocked, therefore, to see that Al Gore actually put down his Sharpie and shook the hand of every single person who passed in front of him...including me and, yes, I'm still surprised that I didn't faint. I had an opportunity to say anything I wanted to him and my mind went completely blank, I couldn't think of a thing. What I really wanted to do was to get down on my knees and beg him to run again in '08, but all that would come out is "thank you, thank you so much." What he probably didn't realize is that I wasn't just thanking him for signing my book, but for influencing my life in so many other ways.

Comments:
I just finished reading Conservatives Without Conscience, which I highly recommend. It gives links to two websites where self-tests are available to determine where we fall between Liberal, Conservative, Communitarian and Libertarian. They are http://idealog.org and http://www.self-gov.org
/quiz.html.

I am clearly "Liberal" (order 2 and equality 9) in the first self-test. KAA
 
Molls...this is why I love you. Just don't forget that you changed my life in my "political" fashions. I now can't wait for the next election. Thank you! :)
 
Wow, I am liberal, but almost in the communitarian section (order 5 equality 9). Thanks, KAA for the links. I found it interesting. JKC
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]