Wednesday, August 09, 2006

 

Aaron Sorkin

One of my greatest obsessions, one of THE greatest obsessions of all time, is my love for Aaron Sorkin, specifically his acclaimed television series "The West Wing." I was hooked early on, recording every episode for playback later (yeah, I actually watched them and I still own them)--it was a happy day for me when they decided to put that series on DVD; preserved for all-time.

Aside from my love of "The West Wing" my favorite movie of all-time is Mr. Sorkin's The American President. Cheesy, yes, but endearing, smart and witty---triple yes! I love it. There was a point in my life where I'd actually sit and watch that movie once a week. To this day it lifts my spirit and makes me smile, regardless of my mood at the time.

And, while it may seem on the surface that I just like politically-minded material, which is true, I'm also a huge fan of Mr. Sorkin's first television series "Sports Night"--in my opinion one of the best written, funniest, most charming and under-appreciated sitcoms in the history of television. I own the entire series on DVD and watch all three seasons with some regularity.

Okay, so I'm a bit obsessed with Aaron Sorkin, it's true. Which is why I have been so excited for his latest series, "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" to make its premiere this fall on NBC. In what I have determined to be one of the smartest marketing moves ever, NBC put two of its fall shows pilots on DVD, including "Studio 60..." and made them available to Netflix customers. I eagerly moved this DVD to the top of my queue and carefully planned my disc return to coincide with the public availability of this disc. Last night I finally was able to settle in and watch this one-hour pilot and OH MY GAWD! This show is going to rock! It has a, for the most part, stellar cast; there are a couple people I could do without, but I don't expect them to stick around for long (Moira Kelly lasted about four episodes on "The West Wing" before they realized the general public--including me--despised her). The content of "Studio 60..." is thought-provoking and even a bit edgy; it makes you think and I think this show will be one of the few bonafide hits of the Fall TV season.

Comments:
OHHHH I've been excited for this show too. I didn't know it was on netflix. Ok, netflix, here I come!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]