Monday, July 10, 2006

 

Water

***WARNING! By reading this entry you are likely to become so bored you pass out at your computer, possibly drooling on your keyboard and thus ruining it--read at your OWN risk!***

No, I'm not talking about rain again, I'm talking about something much more, um... Interesting?

I remember when I was in college we spent an entire class period in "Principles of Public Relations" talking about bottled water and what a growing business it had become in the past say 5 years. This was about 7 years ago and I'm impressed that I actually remember this, as it's likely the only thing I remember from most of my core classes, but I digress. Bottled water has become a big business in this country. Every time I turn around there's a new brand offering up its newest gimmick to get a piece of the American dollar. There are flavored waters, carbonated waters, spring waters, mineral waters...the list goes on and on. When I was in 10th grade I went on a band trip to Florida (this one time, at band camp...) and I wanted some water to take on the bus (yes, bus) with me. All I could find were half pints of Evian, at about six bucks a six pack--that's obscene when you're 15 years old. And, seriously... it's WATER. I digress again.

I'm a water drinker, always have been. I generally drink about a gallon a day, more when I worked at Starbucks (the water filtration systems at Starbucks generate the BEST water I've ever tasted, and it's consistent from store to store). I love water. Back in the day I carried bottle water with me wherever I went, but then I calculated how much money I was spending on said bottled water. Ohmigod! It was disturbing. I finally got hip to that right after graduating and moving to Denver and while my love of H2O has not faltered, I've gotten a bit smarter about how I drink it. Mainly, I refill reusable water bottles and carry them every where I go. I'm still never without my water, but I'm also never without my Nalgene bottle. Do you know how much money I've saved since giving up the store-bottled water? Seriously. It's probably more than I've saved by making coffee at home and avoiding Starbucks on the way to work. It's probably more than I've saved by having an assigned parking spot for the last year. It might even be more than I save by not having to pay full-fare to fly (thanks, Mike!). It's a LOT. There are occasions where a disposable bottle of water just makes sense, but under normal circumstances, how much money could YOU save by bottling your own?


***Okay, seriously, I can't believe I just typed an entire post about bottled water, but I was having a hard time coming up with a topic and I asked Talia and the first thing she said was "bottle water" and thus I was stuck...the post had to be written. Don't hate me, just leave me a comment with some ideas for posts.***


Comments:
YAY for the bottled water post! I wasn't bored at all. Maybe cause I understand the atrocity of the prices on bottled water. Here in NYC, it's 2 dollars (sometimes more depending on the brand of water) for 1.5 liters. I drink at least 2 of those a day. Thats sooooo much money I was spending just on bottled water. So I too followed the wonderful world of NALGENE. And I've saved TONS of money! GOOOO NALGENE!
 
I own seven reusable water bottles. I take 2-3 with me each night as I am an extremely thirsty person. I own a water filtration thing I fill and keep in the fridge that I generally use to fill the said bottle. However, I also by bottled water by the case. One, they're easy to hand out when people come over and leave me with less dishes (seeing as how I have no dishwasher, this is important to me). Two, I keep some in my car...what if I was stranded somewhere with no water?!?1 What's the bigger atrocity...pre-bottled water or NONE AT ALL! Also, (number 3?) my dad said to always keep some handy in case you needed to put out a fire, or your smoking car. I'm feeling parched now...
 
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree that bottled water can certainly be convenient. I, too, keep water in my car, though mine is on the advice of my mom, not my dad. Parents are cool like that, I guess.
 
Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]