Friday, July 14, 2006

 

PHAMALy

PHAMALy (pronounced like Family) is a local theatre company, founded in 1989. The company name is an acronym standing for the Physically Handicapped Amateur Musical Actors League. The do one mainstage show per year, performed at the Denver Center's Space Theatre. I've seen three productions by this company, including tonight's opening performance of "The Wiz."

I love PHAMALy and beyond what they do for those with disabilities who perform both on and off stage; I love what they do for Denver and for the theatre, itself. Last year's production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" was inspired. They turned the tables on everything you thought that show was about. It was a sell-out--people clamoring for tickets--and beyond the audience recognition, the show was a critical success as well, named Best Musical of 2005 by the Denver Post . I expect the same may happen for this year's show.

I enjoy PHAMALy productions so much and am touched in such a way that I have a hard time describing it to others, writing about this one I doubt will prove things any other way. When I first went to see a PHAMALy production I, admittedly, had pretty low expectations. Not to sound too uncouth here, but these are people with challenges, right? What can they do on stage? I mean, could it possibly be that good? You have no idea.

"The Wiz" is a Rhythm and Blues reinvention of the classic tale of "The Wizard of Oz." The original production first opened on Broadway in 1975 where it ran for just over four years. In 1978 Sid Lumet's reimagination of the story hit the big screen starring none other than Diana Ross as Dorothy, Richard Pryor as the Wiz and, none other than Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow.

Having not been born when the show premiered on Broadway and having never seen the movie version of "The Wiz", and only having heard the music in snippets, I didn't really know what I was in for this evening. I figured, "oh yeah, Wizard of Oz, been there done that, like it, but c'mon." Yes, I forget: PHAMALy is different. The company is made up of folks with a variety of different challenges. The tagline for the show is"Lions and Tigers and wheelchairs...Oh my!" And "oh my" it definitely is.

The performances of all the characters, including: Scarecrow, Tinwoman, Lion, even the Wiz, himself were meritous, but Dorothy, the darling Juliet Villa, is certainly the stand-out. Her lovely voice rings out like a bell. You first think it might be shaky, but when she sings she has complete control of the range (and what a range she has), fluttering from one note to the next. I can't even describe it, she's simply: incredible. Oh, and did I mention that she's blind, led by her guide and loyal pooch, yeah, you got it, Toto (Dierdre). Lest you forget, everyone on the stage is a person with a disability, but forget you will when you watch this show. You will be blinded to this fact (no pun intended) because of the sheer talent that is emitted by every single company member and their dedication to "getting it right." You will be reminded of all that you've dreamt and all that you're capable. If you're me, you may even be reminded that sometimes a standing ovation really IS entirely appropriate, if not even demanded.

************************************
The Wiz
Now--July 24; Friday and Saturday evenings at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays at 2:00 p.m. An additional performance will be held on Monday, July 24 at 7:30 p.m.

The Space Theatre in the Denver Performing Arts Complex

For tickets call 303.893.4100 or buy and print online at denvercenter.org

Comments:
*sigh* I wish I could fly out to Denver right this very second and see this!
 
Molly,
I'm so glad you ejoyed The Wiz! I love reading about people's reactions to PHAMALy (thus I found this). It makes it so worthwhile. I'm one of the founding members, and although I'm also the mother of the Scarecrow (and I played Aunt Em) I feel like a proud mother to everyone of my fellow actors!
Keep coming! We're tackling Urinetown next year!!
Kathleen
 
Hey, there, Ms. Molly ... Ms. Kathleen dropped us a line about your reaction to "The Wiz," which I just read and had my sister read to my mother. I'm so glad to know you were impressed with our new, wacky version of that timeless story. Let me tell you, it was a real joy to put it together and watch it grow, and it's an even greater joy to know that you and others are now going through the same rejuvenating journey and enjoying it. Our pleasure, always, always, always, one hundred blessed per-Cent. A million thanks for your commendations of the cast--I agree entirely, they are all wonderful. This is my first year in any kind of production, and I must say, these people, who have become my very dear friends, are so very talented and caring, and such a joy to sing with ... Such a joy, it's been, this whole endeavor. As Ms. Kathleen said, here's hoping PHAMAL-y will see you for many years to come. Mind yourself, and keep singing--music is one of the Almighty's most miraculous gifts. (None of my business, but ... You made me smile, Ms. Molly; I'm here to tell you: humidity in New York City, where I was born and which I've re-visited in the good old (?) summertime, is veritably aggravating; but heat in general is just the BANE of my life ...) Take care, now. -- Juliet Cecilia Villa
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Kathleen,
"Urinetown" is my all-time favorite... I wouldn't miss it for the world!

Molly
 
Molly,

I just wanted to let you know that PHAMALy received national coverage on the Jim Lehrer news hour. They taped during our run of "The Wiz" and the segment aired Tuesday. I copied the link below, in case you'd like to view it. Thanks, Tara

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainment/july-dec06/theater_08-29.html
 
sorry you might get the Lehrer link twice.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]