Thursday, July 27, 2006

 

Gay Music?

No, I'm not using gay as an *abject* adjective, but recently I've begun to come to terms with the fact that I have a gay man's music collection. Okay, okay I'm totally stereotyping, maybe even unfairly, but go along with me on this.

I didn't get a CD of my own until I was 17. I remember it was the soundtrack to Mr. Holland's Opus (love that movie). Even if we go back a little further to the age of the cassette tape even then I liked movie tunes over anything else. I had all the Disney movies soundtracks and every now and then would supplement my collection with Tiffany or New Kids on the Block (NKOTB 4-ever). We should've known then how I'd turn out to be.

At work I'm known as "the girl who has all the show soundtracks"; you saw Bombay Dreams and want to hear "Shakalaka Baby" over and over again, I'm your girl. You saw that performance from The Drowsy Chaperone on the Tony's telecast, the corner office on the third floor is where you'll find me. I like to think it gives me a purpose in the land of the theatre geeks, but perhaps the part that people don't see is that I don't have these CD's to help me in my job (even though they do...help me in my job), I have them because I like them. I have them because they're pretty much the only kind of music I listen to with any sort of regularity. And, yes, I realize this makes me seem boring and perhaps a little strange, some people even think "closed minded"; I understand all of this, but I don't really care.

A couple weeks ago we were having a little get-together after work on the patio at the Garner Galleria bar and someone mentioned something about a showtune. I, of course, chimed in saying that I could pull out my iPod and play a little snippet for them, which they, of course, declined, because they're not like me, but it turned into a conversation about my extensive yet limited music collection. I don't have a massive collection of CD's, I can't even hold a candle to people like my friend Talia and her eclectic and EXPANSIVE collection, but if it's a showtune you desire and I'm around, a showtune you shall have. Anyway, I digress. In the course of the conversation it was determined by a majority of the people at the table that I just may have the "gay-est" collection of music owned by a single girl...even one who makes her career in the theatre. Afterall, when you have three versions of Annie and Chicago at your fingertips or can pull up some Elton John or Madonna on the spot you might as well be a drag queen, or so I'm told.

Could this possibly help to explain why I'm still single?

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]