Sunday, July 09, 2006

 

Dex

I'm a know-it-all. I don't mean that literally, I mean it figuratively; I LOVE to believe that I know absolutely everything. I, of course, don't...know absolutely everything, but that doesn't stop me from trying.

At work I refer to my position as "the drip pan." I'm the person you come to when you have a question about just about anything. If I don't know the answer, I'll most certainly know who does. While I frequently complain about this fact or become resentful of my status in relation to my glue-that-holds-the-place-together position, I secretly really like it. Molly=know-it-all.

Aside from the fact that I like to know a lot of things, I actually do know a lot of things. I sort of have a freaky memory. For example, I remember dates really well. A skill that is useful quite regularly when trying to remember what dates a show played the Buell, or when it debuted on Broadway. If I don't know the answer to something I've got a good sense for what to Google to get the answer and can usually figure it out in less than two minutes. I have also cultivated my ability to remember obscure facts, crazy news stories or trivial tid-bits.

There is an online directory, like the Internet version of the phone book, known as Dex. They have a great ad campaign that features "Dex" as a balding, middle-aged, white man with an eyesight deficit. The campaign slogan: Dex knows. Because of my penchant for knowing answers to the most random questions, my office nickname has been designated "Dex." When my phone rings or there's a knock on the door followed by "Dexxx..." I know there's a question to follow, another chance for the know-it-all to rear its lovely head.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]